Thursday, November 27, 2008

Crayon & note book cozy tutorial


This is a tutorial to make a Crayon cozy with a note book pocket. I have seen many cute crayon roll tutorials and have made a few, they are easy and fun to make. I also like the fact that you could just trow the crayon roll into your purse,well the only problem is I would never have paper for Ben to color on so I decided to make a pocket for a note book to go next to the crayons. So I will never be with out paper.
I apologize in advance for some of the pix I had to use my flash because we don't have much sunlight in the winter.


Helpful tools
quilters pen

rotary cutter or scissors

cutting mat

ruler

I used two pieces of fabric 5 X 16 1/2 inches (for the outside and inside), one 6 X 16 1/2 inch piece of fabric folded in half lengthwise and pressed (for the pocket), one piece of lightweight fusible interfacing 5 X 16 1/2 inches







iron the interfacing on the wrong side to one of the 5 by 16 1/12


iron the coordinating piece of fabric in half

Then place it on the piece of fabric that you ironed the interfacing on make sure the folded side is up.


Line up the bottom edges of the folded piece and the piece with interfacing, pin together. Starting over from the edge 1 1/4 inches sew lines parallel with the edge starting from the top of the crayon pocket, back-stitching at the top to reinforce. Sew the lines one and a 1/4Th inches apart across the pocket. You will make 8 of these crayon pockets You will then have a pocket that will be 5 inches wide. to put the not book in.
I like to mark where I am going to sew first with a quilting pen. The marks will rub off when your done.


If you want to use rick rack, pin it around the edge as shown. Fold the ribbon in half and pin it on the edge. Pin remaining piece of 5 X 16 1/2 inch fabric right sides together with the pocket piece. Sew around edges with 1/4 inch seam. Leave about 3 inches across bottom for turningTrim corners, turn, press and top stitch being careful to catch all layers of the opening to close.
It's very cute and makes a fun easy homemade with love gift for the little ones in your life..
I hope you all will enjoy this.. If you make one let me know I would love to see pix..
If you find any mistakes let me know.. Thanx

10 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

I love it! I also love that you are doing tutorials now! yeah!

Honey Mommy said...

What a cute idea! This would be hand to take with you anywhere!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

You know, you could sell a TON of those things...SO cute and practical...

Rayna said...

fun I'll have to try it!
Ype, it's 28 yrds of batting!

Sarah Coggins said...

What a great idea and tutorial! Thanks for sharing, Jen. :)

Ter said...

what a great idea!!
you're awesome!

Kerri said...

Another one to add to my list of "cute things to make"! Thanks!I'm sure this post took you a lot of time.

Anonymous said...

Where do you but the little notebooks?

Sandy said...

Those are adorable! They would be great for my daughter's preschool graduation!

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.