Thursday, July 23, 2009

Funeral potatoes

Christmas, potatoes, Sunday dinner potatoes, hash brown casserole pot luck potatoes, and I think thats all I have heard them called. If you are LDS you know exactly what I am talking about, it's a mormon standard at Funerals and potlucks. You might be wondering what my point is, I am getting there I promise.

Last night night I made a this casserole for dinner, my neighbor came over and asked what I was cooking. I told her funeral potatoes she looked at me a little blank I then told her the ingredients and she said oh hash brown casserole. I said yeah, she then asked why the heck did I call it funeral potatoes. I explained that it was something often made at Mormon funerals so it got nicknamed that.

It also reminded me of the first time I had ever heard the term funeral potatoes, belive it or not it was when I had my 7 Baby Ben 5 years a go next Thursday. My friend Kim made it for our family and was very upset when she brought it over. She said Jennifer I messed up. I was a little puzzled and asked how so. She said I made you funeral potatoes for a babys birth. I looked at her confused and then looked at the dish and said oh these aren't funeral potatoes these are Sunday dinner potatoes. She looked at me and laughed and said oh thats better It's wednesday and I am bring you Sunday potatoes on wednesday. I reassured her they were my favorite and it did not matter what day she brought them.

After a good laugh I asked her where on earth did she here the term funeral potatoes. She then said she told our friend Christina at cub scouts what she had made and she called it funeral potatoes.



So after that long intro do you all want the recipe? They are super good and worth the storey I promise.



1 Large bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (not already browned, raw)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 pint of sour cream
1 small bunch of green onions (just the green part cut really fine, I just use scissors!)

1 cup of cheese Cheddar, jack or what ever kind you want.

corn flakes

option I like to add ham or chicken to make it a full meal.



Mix everything together and put in one or casserole dish( I put it in 2 8X10 dishes I think thats the size and freeze one.)

Then add corn flakes , crushed cheese its bread crumbs or what ever you want on top.

Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



So I am dying to know have you ever heard of this casserole and if you have what did you call it?

Photobucket

12 comments:

Diane said...

i've never heard it called funeral potatoes. but i know they are yummy.

i think my family has funeral mostacholi. because that's what we have at all our funeral dinners. but i'm not sure why because we're not italian. lol

Yarni Gras! said...

oh that is great! I can't wait to try them. BTW, my mom makes this KILLER soup and when I got the recipe, she entitled it "FUNERAL SOUP."
When I asked why, she said the same thing you did......toooo funny!

Jana Nielson said...

We call them Funeral Potatoes, and if I had to choose only one food to eat for the rest of my life....it would be Funeral Potatoes!!!!
I love them!

....and they are served at EVERY funeral luncheon in Utah.

RatalieNose said...

I LOVE FUNERAL POTATOES!!!
They're my FAVORITE!

Shaina said...

Oh yes. This potato lover LOVES funeral potatoes. Add in some sauted onions too and it tastes great.

Anonymous said...

I've heard about the potato casserole from friends and knew some of the ingredients-but never actually tasted any. I will though....putting items on my shopping list! Thanks!

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

My mom used to make those! I am now craving them... thanks! :P

Ande said...

yummy!!!! Those sound soooo---good right now. :)

Nicole said...

LOL, I've never hear of them as funeral potatoes either!

I make them with cream of celery soup and have never tried the crunchies on top but thats sounds yummy too!

Anonymous said...

YUM!

The Dean Family said...

Funeral Potatoes, that's what the Dean's call them. Whatever you call them, they're DELICIOUS! With all the butter and cheese, how could they not be?

gigi said...

The first time I heard it called Funeral Potatoes I thought it was because eating all that fat would give you a heart atack, really that's what I thought. I didn't realise it had lots of other names and that it was just a dish you take to a pot luck dinner. Goofy me :}