Monday, April 12, 2010

Fabric, gift and goodie bags..

When my 3 oldest were little girls I used to make cloth goodies bags every year for there birthdays,we would fill them up with goodies and give them as party favors.
Everyone always ranted and raved about them.
I haven't made them in years.
So today when I was cleaning out my fabric stash and the birthday gift closet something clicked.  I thought hey I should make a whole bunch of  fabric bags out of my scraps and put all the little giftys in so when it's time to send a kid to a birthday party I will already have a nice wrapped gift.
So I did!
 Now I will show you all how to do this, even the no sewer can make these.

{Here's what you need}
scrap fabric
scissors
thread
sewing machine
ribbon
Velcro

Step one
First cut the fabric into the desired size you want it.
next
iron what you want the top of the bag to be a half of inch or so .( you may leave it a raw edge or fold it over twice making a clean seam.)
Now sew this seam down.
Now fold the fabric in half and sew the side and bottom seam closed.

Now you need to turn the fabric right side out.
Then your done.
Now here is two ways to keep them shut.
The easiest way for me is to tie a ribbon on the top and for fun add a little flower barrette if it's a girl if it was a bout I would probably put a yo yo or a car.
Or you can add velcro on the top seam.
I like this way best for boys.
There you have it super easy gift bags for any occasion.
 I know friends that only use them for there kids birthday gifts and there Christmas gifts year after year..

12 comments:

Em said...

I just found your blog via another blog. I guess that's how this all comes together; I don't know. I'm a new blogger that just decided to blog after running across a blog somehow during a search. Anyway...I tend to babble...sorry. I have been reading about William and bawling my eyes out. I visited his website and while I was there; I created my own for my brother. I tried to comment on his site and on one of his pics on this site but it wouldn't let me so I'm posting my comment here. I am so sorry for your loss and so happy for you for the cherished time William was with you. I too, will always cherish the 22 months my little brother was in my life. Thank you for leading me to Williams site ~ the anniversary of my brother's death is next month and I am going to create a site for him, for my mother, Stephanie

The Little Red Shop said...

Your bags are just fab! hee hee!

: )

Julie M.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Very cute...I used to do this years ago, and I just might pull out my stash of scraps and do the same...thanks for reminding me!

ter@waaoms said...

great job jen!

Ann Marie said...

The bags are adorable!
Much like most of your stuff!!

I really hope we get the chance to meet up one day also...How come you can't come to the blog bearlake cabin retreat in October? Come on! Come and play!!

If not.. I hope you'll come to SLC for conference sometime.. and we can shop or do lunch or something.. It would be lots of fun!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

This is a great idea, we all have scrap fabric laying around (shhh! this is what I tell my husband!)

Devri said...

You never cease to amaze me! I love coming to your blog, which is few and far between lately major issure had ahold of me. lol anyways, I heart you so, thanks for always the uplift, when I am here! ofa lahi atu!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Tonight, I stuck around and looked through your site. My eyes will water until I decide to sleep. William is a beautiful angel. I've never heard about Trisomy 18 until tonight. Now I feel more educated about your precious son and his battle to live a long 17 days! your faith impresses me. Thank goodness for temples, the priesthood and the knowledge of family being forever. Thank you for sharing your life (and that of your son's) so willingly!

Kim said...

Your bags look great! The flower looks really pretty.

Lori P said...

What a great (eco-friendly) idea for so many different things - wine gift bags, party favors, the list is endless. Thanks!

CB said...

OK someone gave me a Christmas gift last Christmas in a fabric bag. I had never seen one before and I thought it was so neat!

Thanks for sharing how to make them here -it really makes a gift extra special!

KayzKreationz said...

What a great post and great way to gift things. Thanks for the tutorial. I have lots of fabric/scraps that would be great for this.
http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com