Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Yummy Granola

The other day I decided to make granola for the first time.
I was surprised at just how easy it was to make.
I used a basic recipe and added all the good stuff I wanted.



So here is the recipe.
{ Tip you might want to make 2 or three batches at a time it will go fast I promise}


1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
1 cup raw brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup each What ever seeds, nuts and dried fruit you may want. ( I used almonds ,sunflower, seeds flax, pecans, and dried cranberries.) 
In a large 4 quart saucepan melt the margarine, sugar and water together. Stir it well and let it simmer for a few minutes (2 or 3 minutes should be enough). Add the salt, oatmeal and cinnamon to the big pot. Remove the pot from the stove and stir up the granola. You want to coat the oats with the brown sugar and margarine, so keep stirring until everything is moistened. Put the granola onto a cookie sheet, the kind with sides. Bake it at 375° for 10 minutes. It should be a nice golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the granola to cool right there in the pan. When it is cool, break it up into small pieces and transfer it to canister {or what ever air tight container you want to use.} Add the nuts and/or dried fruit when you put it into the canister. I love it with my Greek yogurt and with milk. I also love it just plain as a snack. 
Enjoy!!





No comments: