Friday, February 29, 2008
212 Fashion Do's and Don'ts....
Don't pull up your stockings in public.
Do wear color near your face.
Do soften the hard lines of a suit with a lace top underneath.
Don't wear sweaters so long that they make you look short.
Do borrow your husband's clothes.
Don't wear acid-washed jeans.
Cropped pants can make you look shorter.
Do wear a hipslip or minimizer under tight clothes.
Do have a stash of basics on hand: T-shirts, leggings, black socks and tights.
Patterned leggings can make legs look heavier.
Monochromatic outfits are one of the best slimming secrets there is.
Lies, Lies, Lies
* Nice girls don't wear white after Labor Day.
* You shouldn't wear suede shoes in summer or patent leather in winter.
* Handbags have to match your outfit.
* Black is boring.
* If you wear two pieces that are both navy, the colors have to match.
(It's all but impossible.)
Elements of Style
* Try something that's "not you" once in a while.
* Adapt trends so that they work for you--and adapt is the key word
here. A plaid minikilt isn't for everyone, for example. But if you love
the look, try a longer plaid skirt.
* Hold on to a few of your favorite outdated pieces. You never know!
* Add a couple of stylish, inexpensive things to your wardrobe each season.
* Force yourself to wear something for somebody else.
* Dress like a teenager.
* Mix two seasons in one outfit.
* Wear really casual shorts or beach sandals on dress-down Fridays.
Wear black with navy. Trust us! Both of them also go with...
* cream * white * beige * brown
...and the combinations are timelessly elegant.
Don't wear too many colors at once.
If you find an inexpensive, basic item that fits well, buy it in several colors.
10 Must-Haves For Fall
(To Buy or Dig Out from Your Closet)
1. White blouse
2. One perfect dress
3. A pleated or A-line skirt
4. Boots--tall or short
5. A mohair sweater--yes, they're back
6. Anything plaid
7. A pea coat in navy or black
8. A short, fitted blazer or a long, tailored style
9. Tapered trousers
10. Pretty pastels--a jacket, sweater, skirt or all of the above
* Do wear black for an evening affair if the event is black tie.
* Do keep dyed shoes in the closet with the bridesmaid dress.
* Do take advantage of the "Bring 'em back--shoes, that is--we'll dye
'em black" policy. Don't, however, wear dyed shoes if there's any chance
of snow or rain. The color is likely to bleed.
* Do carry a small evening bag and don't overstuff it.
* Do sew Velcro on strapless bras and on your dress to keep everything in place.
* Don't wear a casual watch with very dressy clothes.
* Don't wear a casual jacket over a fancy dress.
* Don't wear anything too tight, too sexy or too see-through.
* Don't wear uncomfortable shoes.
* Don't upstage the bride in something that's too attention getting.
* Pearls. Need we say anything more?
* A chambray shirt under a blazer.
* The perfect little black dress. Every closet should have one.
* Twin-sweater-sets that do double duty in your wardrobe.
* Opaque hose with Lycra spandex are a girl's best friend.
* Anything that's obviously left over from days of yore-
-especially if it's polyester with topstitching.
* Linen in winter.
* Skirts so narrow that you can't walk.
* Jogging suits when you have no intention of jogging.
* Too many patterns at one time.
The All-Time, Best-Ever, Never-Fail, A-Number-One Figure Do:
Learn to love your body, flaws and all.
Figure It Out
* Buy elastic-waist pants and skirts--they're more comfortable.
* Emphasize your best feature: Great legs? Wear short skirts.
* Create balance by wearing shoulder pads--they can make your hips look smaller.
* Wear loose, comfortable clothes in soft, drapey fabrics. They're forever forgiving.
* Road test bodyshaper pantyhose before you wear them.
* Buy a supportive bra--everything will fit better.
* Wear dark opaque hose or tights with short skirts.
* Match hose to shoes for a slimming silhouette.
* Choose belts that match your pants for an unbroken line.
* Opt for pinstripes rather than wide vertical stripes.
Make sure your hemline suits your legs:
* If you love your legs, anywhere above the knee is fine. (Above midthigh is pushing
it, though, no matter what your legs look like.)
* For heavy legs, go below the bottom of the calf.
* If you have heavy ankles, stick to longer lengths, but don't try to cover them since you
only trip on your hem. Slip on a pair of matching opaque hose instead.
* Treat yourself to a new outfit when you lose a few pounds.
* Opt for jackets with soft, body-skimming lines.
* Take advantage of cover-it-all tunic tops.
* Wear layers of streamlined knits, not bulky ones. They're universally flattering.
* Make sure you have one outfit that you know you'll feel good in--even on "fat" days.
* Wear a skimpy dress unless you're sure that you look good in it--absolutely sure.
* Fall victim to the whims of fashion and wear ultrawide-leg pants--especially if
* Reveal too much when you wear leggings. Even if your rear end is supertoned,
always wear a top that covers it.
* Buy pants or skirts without checking out your rear view. And when you try on
pants, always sit down in them.
Figure Fantasy vs. Figure Fact
Big, bulky clothes will hide my figure.
They'll also add pounds to it.
Prints will make me look bigger.
No, as long as the print is small.
Buying something a size too small will inspire me to lose weight.
Maybe, but it's much more likely that you'll never wear it.
Battling the Bustline
If you're large-busted, skip...
wide belts, long necklaces, big pins
And go for...
Blouses that minimize:
* softly draped (but not oversized) styles in silk or polyester.
* simple V necklines without pockets.
Dark colors on top, light ones on bottom.
A bright jacket over a dark top.
Taming the Tummy
If your stomach is not as flat as you would like it to be, skip...
tucked-in blouses, cropped tops, belted jackets
And go for... tunic tops ... loose jackets ... softly pleated pants
Slimming the Bottom Half
If your hips and thighs are less than svelte, skip...
leggings, big patterns below the belt, narrow trousers
And go for... * loose-fitting trousers * long jackets * long flowing skirts
5 Faux Pas
(No Matter What Your Figure)
1. Tops that draw unnecessary attention.
2. Jeans that don't fit perfectly. Finally, there are styles for every conceivable
figure--flaws and all.
3. Long full jackets paired with long full skirts.
4. Anything so tight that it looks as if the seams might split.
5. Stiff, boxy jackets. Not only are they unflattering, they're uncomfortable
as all get out.
Good eyeglass frames. Don't, however, wear them on a clunky chain around
your neck. If you must, choose something a little more subtle.
A good, versatile scarf that goes with the colors you wear most. And
look for silk crepe versions. They're usually easier to tie and more
likely to stay that way.
A well-made jacket in a 3-season fabric--lightweight wool or gabardine.
What's the mark of well-made? Look for fully lined versions with sturdy,
A good bag that will last for years, big enough for all your essentials,
but not too big.
At least one well-made pair of pants (or a skirt, for that matter) that
you can wear for three seasons. By the way, pleats are fine as long as
they're not stiff.
A pair of classic pumps. Look for: leather, heels no higher than two
inches, and a natural, versatile color like black, navy or ivory.
* Wear ivory and tortoiseshell, but only if they're fake.
* Assemble a collection of good, basic costume jewelry:
* a pair of matching gold bangle bracelets, or a gold cuff not wider than
an inch and a half.
*link necklaces in varying lengths.
* a pair of simple gold hoop earrings, or gold button-style clip-ons.
* Buy a two-tone watch so that you can wear it with silver or gold jewelry.
* Keep your jewelry organized. Even egg cartons or plastic silverware trays will do.
* Wear large earrings if you're a large woman--you're among the few who can
carry them off.
* Wear jewelry that jingles when you walk.
* Pierce your ears more than twice in each lobe. Never wear earrings so heavy
that they stretch your lobes.
* Mix your metals. Silver jewelry is out of the question if your jacket has
* Wear rhinestones before 6 p.m.
* Squeeze a large neck into a dainty choker. It just doesn't work.
* Do wear a belt with a gold buckle if you are wearing gold jewelry.
* Do cover elastic waists with belts or scarves.
* Don't assume that you must, in every circumstance, match your belt and
shoes. But don't stray too far afield either.
* Do wear a belt whenever you wear clothing with belt loops.
* Do wear belts made of leather. If they aren't, they should at least
look like they are.
* Do replace belts when they start to look shabby. Or take them to a
shoe-repair store for reconditioning.
* Do iron them on low!!!
* Do think twice before you wear a print scarf with a print outfit. To
make it work, you need a dotted jacket and dotted scarf, for example.
* Don't wear a long one dangling from your shoulder. Even if you can
manage not to lose the thing, it screams fashion victim.
* Do keep scarves folded in clear plastic containers or in plastic bags.
Whatever you do, DON'T...
* carry more than two at once
* overstuff them
* carry anything bigger than a bread box.
Do learn at least one great way to tie a square scarf.
* Fold in half to form a triangle; then fold it, from the point end
toward the flat side, until it's about 1 1/2" wide.
* Wrap around neck from front to back.
* Bring ends back around to front and knot.
Just Say No
* Impossibly trendy jewelry like nose and navel rings
* See-through clothes
* Extremely high heels
* Fake Chanel anything
* Baby-doll dresses
* Slouchy socks
* Huge shoulder pads
* Fishnet stockings
* Ankle bracelets under pantyhose
* Baggy sweatsuits
* Aprons, unless they're in the kitchen
* Thigh-high skirts
* The schoolgirl look
* Bra tops
* Socks and sneakers with a suit
* Ultra-cropped tops. If your belly button shows, skip it
* High heels with jeans
* Sunglasses at night or indoors
5 Closet Classics
* Organize your closet by item (all skirts together, all jackets
together etc.) rather than by outfit or color. You'll see more
* Invest in shoe trees. They'll keep your shoes
in better condition (we promise) and keep all that closet clutter to a
* Slip belts over hangers.
* Buy padded hangers for delicate items.
* Keep longer clothes on one side of the closet.
* Buy things that go with at least two other things you already own.
* Shop in consignment shops.
* Ask salespeople to call you when they know there is going to be a sale.
* Shop in the men's department for basics. They're usually much cheaper
and offer a larger variety.
* Buy it if you absolutely love it. Next time it may not be there.
* Keep receipts in case you want to return something that goes on sale. And
don't be shy about doing so!
* Take advantage of the convenience of catalogs. But be careful! It's easy to
overspend if it doesn't feel like you're shopping. Before you pick up the phone:
Set a limit.
Make a list.
And for every piece you plan to order, take something out of your closet and
lay it in front of you. If you see things piled up, you'll be less likely to
lose your head.
* Ask about free tailoring and personal-shopping services.
* Take a friend along with you. Not only can she can tell you how things look
from the back, she can save you from yourself--"A hundred dollars? For that???"
Don't Be Afraid to...
* Check the sales racks in better department stores.
* Say no to a salesperson.
* Spend a little extra for a classic item that you know will last.
* Ask if the store will discount an item for a missing button or a loose hem.
The Extras: Maintenance
* Hem your cuffs. And bear in mind that if you're tall, you can get away with
a wider cuff.
* Treat your clothes with loving care. And buy clothes you can afford to take care of.
* Hang woolens out for 24 hours after wearing them to air them out.
* Clip out labels from sheer blouses and bras.
* Use liquid detergent when washing darks.
* Dry-clean and store winter clothes in the summer, and vice versa.
* Bleach whites that are bleach safe.
* Save time and iron only the cuffs and collars of blouses you are wearing under a
sweater or jacket.
* Redye black jeans when they start to fade.
* Keep white canvas sneakers white by soaking them in one part water to one
* Use spray starch.
* Sew bra hooks onto shoulder straps that always slip.
* Carry a portable sewing kit in your purse.
* Buy a steamer to dewrinkle your clothes in a jiffy.
* Try to wash something that says "dry-clean only" unless you're willing to part
with it for good.
* Rehang clothes that are in need of repairs. Fix them first.
* Hang sweaters.
* Alter expensive clothes yourself, unless you really know you can.
The 7 Deadly Shopping Sins
* Wearing lace-up shoes--you'll double your time in the changing room.
* Spending more than you should on trendy items. If you absolutely must have
that silver lame blouse, set a limit before you get to the store.
* Buying on impulse just because something is on sale.
* Using a credit card when you can spare the cash.
* Shopping without a list, even if it's just in your head.
* Looking like a schlump when you shop. If you don't put some effort into your
hair and makeup, you'll feel like nothing looks good on you.
* Shopping with your husband. Why torture one another?
Thursday, February 28, 2008
So I guess I will just say wish me luck on Friday that I will do a good job and not offend anyone when I teach my Fashion do's and dont's class.
I am a little nervous I hope I am able to teach it in a manner that I will not offend anyone.
I hope I will be able to give advice that will be helpful..Or maybe if I am Lucky nobody will show up.. LOL
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Last but not least Godiva Chocolates make me smile. I love the they smell, look and taste. I also love there packaging . I am a sucker for pretty packaging. I hope the Easter bunny brings me some. The other reason they make me smile is because of my best friend Berni Joe It is some thing we always get when we are together.
So what makes you smile?
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
That's how I use to think in my teens. Now as an adult I realise everybody has there Natural talents and not everybody's are the same. I am teaching a class on Friday to my sweet sister friends here in Alaska on fashion do's and dont's. I thought it would be fun to ask you all my Blogging friends some things I should share with them. Tell me what are some of the things you see people wearing that you cant stand or that you know is a fashion no no that people may not know about. Maybe some of you have your own fashion crises share them with me maybe they will help me in teaching my class.
I would love to hear what you all think cant wait to hear you answers..
Monday, February 25, 2008
First Favorite ~Anyone that knows me knows I love shoes exspeshaly high heals the higher the better. My Dh bought me these great Nine West Leopard print heals for Christmas. I haven't been able to wear them thanks to our yucky weather but to day it looks like they might get to go for a test drive om my feet..
My second pick is These crunch master rice crackers. They are to die for yummy. I get them in bulk at Costco. They don't last long in our home. You all should run out and try them..
My third and probably favorite must have are these darling lace Cami's. They are a staple in my wardrobe. I have lots of them in many different colors. They are long so they elongate you and make you taller witch is always a bonus for me. Plus they make you look and feel sexy.
So tell me about some of your favorites.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
She got lots of fun things she had been asking for When I asked her what she liked the best she said the cute fuzzy coat you got me. I just love it!! It's almost like the one I had when I was 3..
Friday, February 22, 2008
We aren't doing much else this weekend Dale and I will be taking a short small business class tomorrow I am not sure what all it intel's other than how to get started and what to avoid. It put on by our church so I am pretty excited to hear about it. Then we will do some shopping in town and then just hang out with the kiddos.
Just wanted to trow in the 2 Lo I did yesterday. The on with just me is am 8x5 by8x5 I think it was the first tine I have done one this small. I do have to say I liked the smaller size. I might have to do some more.
You what are you all doing for the weekend ?? Anything fun or exciting I'd love to hear it...
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Me- My 3 year old is lost in the forest beside my house.
911 what is your little boys Name
911- What was he wearing?
Me -His Yellow and blue snow suit his coat oh my goodness I cant remember what coat he is wearing.
911-Dose he have a hat on
Me -I don't know Oh my goodness I don't know if he has his mittens on. Oh no he must be cold
911-what is his hair color
Me- He is blond with big blue eyes
911-I am going to disconnect you and call dispatch. We will be calling you right back whats your name ?
Me- Jennifer sob sob sob
911-it's OK we are going to find him.
The scariest phone conversation I ever had.
While I was talking to 911 my neighbor took off to the highway where the forest leads out she saw a snow dump guy and asked if he happend to see a little boy in a bright Yellow jacket. He said ya he is over by the big piles of snow where they take all the snow from the city street. She said oh my goodness drove over there and begun to yell his name he was just watching the dump trucks dump the snow. She said thank goodness for his Yellow coat or she would have never saw him and he would have never heard her over the noise.
While this was going on I had mylissa go and get some of the other neighbors too look for him. My neighbors Van rolled up just as the policeman got there we were all so relieved to see Ben . We just started crying. It was so scary. The police man told me they had all the firemen Policemen search and rescue all on there way to come look for Ben. I was so touched and amazed at how serious the took a call of a missing child. The police man was so reassuring that it was alright and that I did the right thing calling 911. He said you just never know with him being lost in the forest because of the wild life and just the weather in general.
I asked my neighbor if Ben was scared. She said no He just looked at me and said Iam just trying to find my friends. He had no clue all this drama was unfolding at home.
What happened was Ben saw that his little friend went home and started to fallow him then took a wrong turn we guess. The older kids noticed Ben and Marty were missing so they went home to make sure they were OK. When they got back they saw Marty and not Ben So they came and got me so we kept calling his name know he could not be far. After about 20mins I got scared I looked at my neighbor and said I am calling 911..
I am so glad this had the ending it did I am so glad that Heavenly Father hears and answers are prayers and I am Very grateful for the Palmer police department ready and able to find a missing child with out a second thought..
On a funny note everyone kept saying don't get too mad at him don't punish him. I said I am not mad at all I am so relived that he is OK I could not even think of Yelling at him or anyone else. Garrett said good Because I thought I would be grounded for letting Ben go with us in the forest. I just looked at him and smiled and said you did the right thing letting us know that Ben was missing. Who knows what could have happened if you just continued to play..
Monday, February 18, 2008
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Thursday, February 14, 2008
OK here are 2 pix from Feb 14 1990 Yes they are bad quality. My scanner did not work for some reason so I just took photos of these pix.
Were we styling or What? Dale and his cool long hair and me in my peach suit dress..
You gotta love a man with glasses bigger than his face..
I am so glad the 80's and 90's are a distance fashion memories..
Dale I love you and cant wait to see what the next 18 years will bring...
I hope every body has a great Valentines day today snuggle up with your loved one and enjoy the day..
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
In our family we often say you are the best dish washer you are the best at staying sill during prayers Etc.. Kadie is always telling Ben he is the best little bother. You often hear them say you are the best to each other.
Well Yesterday Ben said Momma you are the Best Bumm wiper ever...
Monday, February 11, 2008
Saturday, February 9, 2008
This LO is of Kaddie and Shelly Pix taken by my good friend Tracy.
This is just a fun birthday car for Madie (she will be 7 in 2 weeks)
Dale Valentine card...
I did not like the last LO I did with this pic but I totally love how this one turned out...
Friday, February 8, 2008
So I made this LO yesterday of Madie . I really love how it turned out..
I had her write her own journaling witch is so dang cute . I know I will be grateful I did later when she is all grown and a bigger Diva than she already is...
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Madie was sick yesterday and stayed home from school so she asked if she and Ben could make some crafts . They made these cute little love bug and Lady bug..
They had so much fun.. Before Madie went to school today she said I cant wait to be sick and stay home so Ben and I can make more crafts. I thought that was kinda cute..
and Sarah C http://2pawsdesigns.blogspot.com/
2 sweet sweet Blogging friends
You must post the rules before you give your answers.
You must list one fact about yourself for each letter of your middle name.
Each fact must begin with that letter.
If you don't have a middle name, just use your maiden name.
After you've been tagged, you need to up-date your blog with your middle name and answers.
At the end of your post, you need to tag one person for each letter of your middle name. (Be sure to leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged and need to read your blog for details).
S~ Is for Super fun life is never dull when I am around.
U~ Unexpected that is how my life is but when the unexpected happens I always deal with it with Grace and dignity. I was once told By a dear good friend that I reminded her of Jacklin Kennedy in the way I handled the Death of our son . That was the greatest complement she could have ever given me.
S~ Sexy at least My DH thinks so..
A~ Attitude in more ways than one . I have a good positive out look on life. I am fun and a blast to have at a party. I see the good in everyone. My DH would say I have quite a Sassy attitude when I want things done my way.
N~ Nuts No I am not nuts I love to eat nuts (OK that could sound bad) My Favorite nut's are Pistachios and Cashews.
So I will Tag... Teri, Shea, Shaina, Karen ,Beth... I cant wait to see what each of your middle names are...
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
I embellished these cute little capri's for Madie by adding a ruffle, ribbon ,Rick Rack and An iron Heart bling. I think they turned out very cute. We saw a pair like these in a magazine and Madie really wanted them but they were 85 bucks a little to pricey for me. I told her that I would make her some just like them she said you can I said I can She said I will believe it when I see them made. So for under 5 dollars I made these cute Capri's I got the capri's at a thrift store and the fabric and ribbon and other stuff at walmart.I forgot how much I use to love to do stuff like this. I use to sew for Kadie Shelly and Missy all the time when they were little. I guess with Madie being the 6th child I just kinda ran out of steam plus when she was born I always found such good deals at thrift stores and outlet mall that I really did not need to sew for her.
When I asked Madie to get dressed so I could take some pix of her in the outfit she replied I think I will have my photo shoot in your Bathroom . I think the best place for me to stand is on your tub. I said OK. Miss thang.. I am not kidding you should have seen how she worked the side of the tub like it was a catwalk. She had the moves and attitude to boot. I am thinking she may be America's Next Top Model. LOL
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
I made this LO of Dale and Me. I am not so thrilled with how it turned out . I should have used plane paper for the journaling instead of patterned. I guess this is how you learn.
I also wanted to share this great purse I found at our local thrift store. It was only 50 cents so I had to buy it for a Valentines purse.
If this post makes no sence it's because my head is still so fuzzy. I hate hveing colds .
Monday, February 4, 2008
So I did not get much crafting done today just this lovely card... Every thing was insane today. Madeline woke up vomiting when she came in to tell me I was so fuzzy from this awful head cold I have I did not understand what she was saying and thought she said she fell off her Bed while she was sleeping. This caused me to panic because she sleeps on the top bunk once I looked her over I said I am so glad you are OK she said why were you checking out my Head arms and legs. I told her I was just making sure she did not brake any thing Dale said what are you talking about she just upchucked. Then I sadly realised I had to go clean her bed and start a load of laundry. By the time I was done it was time to take Kadie and Shelly to seminary. When I went to go get Shell I saw her face and new right away she was haveing an allergic reaction. I gave her some meds put her back to Bed and then took Kadie to the church. I then came home woke up Mylissa and sent her off to school. I ten laid down for 20 mins then had to get the boys ready for school. by the time they left I felt so crappy I thought I was going to die. I was glad Ben and Madie were still sleeping so that I could take a nap. We finely all woke up by mid morning I felt a bit better. I then realised It was already time to pick Kadie up from school.
I love that she gets out early but 10:COMES TO QUICKLEY SOME DAYS.
All right now that I have complained about my crazy day It is time to get back to the title of this post. I am making three projects with these items can any one guess what they might Be? I will give you a clue they are for Valentines day. LOL Like yo all did not guess that already OK hear is a better clue 2 of the projects are for Madeline and the other one is for me to.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
So as promised here is my 3rd craft in my count down to valentines day!!!
These were made by adding little bits of lace to the picture mats. I think they look very romantic.
I put one of my favorite pic of Dale and I in this frame and in the bigger frame I put a pic of my Best friends family.
I really like the way they turned out...
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Yield: makes 12 (3-inch) hearts
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup cold margarine or butter
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle® Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 (8-ounce) milk chocolate bar, broken into chunks
3/4 cups chopped nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil; set aside.
In bowl, combine 1 cup flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press on bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes.
In another bowl, beat Eagle® Brand, cocoa, egg, remaining 1/4 cup flour, vanilla and baking powder. Mix in chocolate pieces and nuts. Spread over prepared crust. Bake 20 min. or until set.
Cool and lift out pan. For hearts, cut with heart-shaped cookie cutter or cut around a cardboard heart template using a knife. Decorate with icing or gels if desired. Store covered.
Friday, February 1, 2008
The reason why valentines day is such a big deal at our house is because Dale and I were married on Valentines day. So yes he spoils me beyond rotten on Valentines day.
So as promised here is the first little Valentine craft I made is a cracker filled with candy attached to a pretty red doily. I made 15 of them for my Believes.
I have to share a few pix of yesterday. I love it when it looks like this out side it almost makes the cold worth it.
This is a pic of Kadie and Ben we had to stop at the store after picking Kadie up from school and Ben did not have his coat so I put one of Maddies that she had left in the car He was not happy.
This is the road that I drive on to get to the highway to go get Kadie from school.
And last but not least the breathtaking view from my front window.