Sunday, December 27, 2009

Hand warmer tutorial



I was on the phone with my Father In law the other day and he was telling me about these hand warmers that they useto sale to put in your pockets to keep your hands warm  when your out in the bitter cold.
I thought that was a fantastic thing to have so i look online and really could not find any.
So I decided to come up with something on my own along the same idea as a rice therapy bag just small enough to put in your pocket.


Of course they had to be cute and soft. So I used fun fabric and Chenille that I had left over from bibs and burp rags that I had made.

So they were super easy!
So here is what you need!
rice
essential oil or spices(if you want)
scrap fabric
sewing machine
something to cut with rotary cutter or scissors or what ever else you can think of
thread


First i cut 2 squares out of the cotton fabric and then 2 out of the chenille.
I cut them 5X5 you can make them bigger or smaller.


then put right sides together


Then sew a 1/4 seam all away around leaving a one inch opening for the rice.


then turn right side out and fill with rice.


I filled it with a cup of rice.
I then sewed a seam across the opening to seal it shut.
I forgot to take a pic.
You could also whip stitch it if you wanted too.


And walla you are done
.
Now all you need to do is heat them in the microwave for about a minute and a half.


Then stick  the warmers in your favorite coat pocket and have fun out in the cold while your had stays toasty warm.

16 comments:

Ande said...

Those are awesome. And they are reusable. The other ones only last for a few hours and then you have to throw them away.

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

what a great idea! I think we need some of these!

Cyndi said...

Fantastic! I live in the Yukon and I think I could probably use a few of those!!!
My apron swap partner in the White Christmas swap lined my apron with a chenille I think. It's so awesome and absorbent!!! I want to make an apron like that now!! And I could make pocket warmers to match! Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Jennifer. You are so crafty girl! I'm going to try and make some. You could probably make them for less than the $1 that the "hot hands" cost. Thanks for the idea and demo.

Unknown said...

Nice! I saw another one with wool fleece! You have to special order wool fleece here! lol!! I love the chenille so cozy. You could also use millet, I think it actually retains heat a little longer but I would need to experiment more on that. You have to bake millet for at least 45 min on 350 before use as well.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Great idea! I will definitely be copying your idea... love it!

Jess said...

Cozy AND cute!!

Charity said...

I love this idea, we have an rv and camp in the winter too, how nice to have warm hands while playing outside. THANKS FOR SHARING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

i want one of these!!!!

Becca said...

Too creative! I'll be linking!!!

Jen said...

Oh, I live in the midwest and I LOVE this idea! Perfect for our cold days/nights. thanks so much for sharing. these will be a great little gift for my mom.

Angie Holden said...

Thanks so much for sharing! Great idea!!

Anne said...

Awesome project for the cold winter months!! I featured your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-microwaveable-pocket-hand-warmers/2010/01/02/

--Anne

Sherri said...

So cute!! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

budgetary discipline kothari functional endeavor glare bhandar dulcimer parshenkov warranted praha
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.