Thursday, July 31, 2008

Benny turned 4



I cant believe my tinny little 5lb preemie is now 4!! It's so sad and happy all rolled in to one.

Ben had a super fun birthday yesterday. I made him a cake that he requested. He wanted a red white and blue star cake. I was thinking more of a yellow sheriff's star. But he was the birthday boy so I did what he said. I haven't decorated a cake in years I for got how satisfying it could be.
After 18 years I relented and let Ben have a toy gun I had said when I first had kids that I would never let them play with toy guns. This rule was good and fine until we let the big boys have BB rifles. Then I thought well if you teach them not to point them at other people and teach them the safety rules and responsibilities of having a toy gun then a real gun won't be that fascinating to them. Plus they will know how to treat a real gun. You will often here Ben say we don't shoot people in real life of pretend we only shoot targets or animals only if we are going to eat them or if they are trying to eat us. So yes the boy pretends that he is being chased by wild animals so he can pretend shoot them.
Plus don't little boys look so cute all dressed up like cowboys.. 6 shooters and all.

6 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

Happy birthday to Ben! :) What an awesome cake. You did a fabulous job decorating it, Jen!

I'm Always Rite said...

Happy Birthday Ben! Love the cowboy get up.

I have yet to relent and buy Simon a toy gun. That's not to say he hasn't found other ways of getting them. He swiped a six shooter along with the rest of a cowboy costume out of my sisters Halloween costume/dress up trunk. :] Boys...

Meg Giroux said...

Happy birthday to your little Ben! Great cake!

Ter said...

Happy Birthday Ben!

you did a great job with the cake!

The Dean Family said...

Jen, I too held to my strict rule of no guns for little boys for years. However, boys have a way of turning anything (remotes, puzzle pieces, trail bars) into semi-automated weaponry.So now my boys have Nerf guns, paintball guns, and air-soft guns. Did I deprive them too long, and now they're making up for said lack of aresenal? I know not. This I do know, with big-boy toys comes great responsibility.

Anonymous said...

oh! Happy Birthday!
Such a great photo of him with the cake and his guns.........